A REALITY CHECK OF OUR LIVES & ACTIONS (10 GOLDEN RULES TO FOLLOW)
When Jesus Christ called out 12 men from their professions & asked them to follow Him, he promised them that He will make them ‘fishers of men’. In order to transform their outlook & priorities, He gave them elaborate instructions regarding every aspect of their lives so that they have clear directions for their lives ahead. He commanded them to seek the kingdom of God & His righteousness first & foremost in their lives, so that everything else (that they would need) will be added to their lives (Matt. 6:33). In fact, Jesus Christ said that He had come to fulfill the law & not destroy it (Matt. 5:17). So, what are the specific areas that Jesus Christ has taught so that we are different from the worldly people around us?
Let us examine our lives and actions through the lens of Jesus Christ’s commandments and look into the 10 ‘golden rules’ that He gave in his inaugural address popularly known as “The Sermon on the Mount”:
1. Be poor in our spirit (Matt. 5:3): This means to be humble & emptied in our human spirit and to receive the guidance that the Holy Spirit is giving us every step of our way. Our ideal Jesus Christ, God’s own Son humbled & emptied Himself taking on the form of a slave. (Phil. 2:7)
2. Mourn about man’s continuing rebellion to God’s plan (Matt. 5:4): Our world is still under Satan’s dominion. Sin, self, worldliness & pride still rules lives. God’s will is rejected, Jesus Christ is vilified, the Holy Spirit is frustrated, the church is desolate, humans are corrupt & the whole world is in darkness. A sincere child of God will mourn regarding this situation & pray to the Lord of the harvest to send workers to the field.
3. Be meek in our attitudes (Matt. 5:5): We need to be willing to suffer the world’s opposition willingly & consider others greater than ourselves. (Gal. 6:2-4)
4. Seek (hunger/thirst) after righteousness (Matt. 5:6): We need to seek earnestly to be right in our behavior towards others & discern through God’s righteous standards.
5. Be merciful towards others (Matt. 5:7): To be righteous is to give others what they deserve, but to be merciful is to give others better than what they deserve. When we are merciful to others, God will be merciful towards us (James 2:13)
6. Be single in purpose ~ pure in heart (Matt. 5:8): We need to have the single goal of accomplishing God’s will for His glory alone. Being pure in heart & purpose, Christ can grow His influence in our life.
7. Strive to make peace in our sphere of influence (Matt. 5:9): Our God is an author of peace and not confusion (1 Cor. 14:33). As His children, we must spread peace around us in this turbulent world.
8. Be willing to suffer for Christ (Matt. 5:10): When we attempt to do the will of God & seek after God’s kingdom & His righteousness, we will be persecuted by others who are under the sway of the devil. We should be willing to pay the price for our life choice.
9. Be willing to be insulted & accused falsely (Matt. 5: 11-12): It is highly probable that we will be insulted and reproached by the religious people, who will hold to religious traditions over the will of God. If we rejoice in these circumstances, our reward will be great in heaven.
10. Influence others as the ‘salt to the corrupted earth’ and ‘light to the darkened world’ (Matt. 5:13-16): As healing salt (referring to our good nature), we must keep the earth from being corrupted by sin. As shining light (referring to our good works and behavior), we must attract people to Christ who is the “Light of the world”.
Needless to say, if we can strictly follow these 10 rules in our lives and action, this will result in our lives to be an example to others in word, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity (1 Tim. 4:12). Many will be attracted to the kingdom of God through our lives.
May God enable us to do a reality check of our lives and action in the light of Christ’s commandments to His followers! Let us be ‘true’ followers of Christ in these last days. May God bless us as we strive to live for Him!